Countdown to B-Day

Monday, March 10, 2008

In the beginning...

Well this is the start of my journey. Well as of today I guess.

Basically, my weight journey goes like this: Normal sized child, shortish teenager who thought she looked a little chubby by the time she finished high school. Decided to lose a little weight at this time and just put it straight back on again at uni plus another three kilos. (Must say at this point that that made me 60 kilos)

Slimmed down to 57 kilos for my first wedding at 21. In between then and now I have had three children, moved to New Zealand,had first hubby get sick and pass away, move back to Australia, finished my teaching degree, relocate to the country, remarried to the most fabulous man on the planet, had another baby and yo-yoed my way up to 102 kilos! Phew!

I have been so busy at this time and life has been full and I have made the most of all the opportunities that life has offered me...EXCEPT all this time my weight has bothered me. Even when I think I am the luckiest woman alive to have a fabulous husband, adorable kids and a job I love, my weight issue hangs in the back of my mind.

It affects my social life, my working life, my sex life, my self esteem, my health and my happiness.

I have tried Jenny Craig, Gloria Marshall, Lite and Easy, Weight Watchers, Duromine, Xenical , gym programs and countless diets that appear in magazines. Every time I start something I lose weight- I have lost as much as 15 kilos at a time. Then I get back to 'normal' or I get busy at work or with my family and before I know it I have regained the lost weight plus GST of around ten percent!

But no more. I have made a monumental decision. I have seen my GP, a surgeon and a dietician...and I am having a lap band inserted on June 30th, 2008.

I feel liberated, excited frightened and impatient!

5 comments:

Tina :o) said...

Good on you for making the best decision of your life. Getting a lap band will change your life for the better:O)
Great blog so far. Thanks for sharing it with us all.
Cheers Tina

Anonymous said...

Hi Sal
I am so looking forward to following your journey. I know that wonderful feeling of empowerment!
Mr D is wonderful and I'm sure all will go well.
Moved to NZ?..being a kiwi myself that perked me up! mmmm..peanut slabs and paua fritters..
Hope we meet up soon, and I'm always somewhere if you need a shoulder, a hand or an ear.
Congratulations on your banding, June is getting so close!
Huggles
Deb (anita)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sal,

So glad to see you've started your blog - congratulations!

Bring on the smaller, prettier, underwear - not far away now!

Myf xox

Kathy said...

Hi Sal, as you can see from your previous comments from fellow banders - they are the best support you can get! I'm recently banded (a month ago) and have had them on my blog giving me encouragement and advice along the way. They have been wonderful and Myf has been my rock. I will be reading your blog with interest. Congratulations to you and good luck on your exciting journey. Cheers, Kathy via My Banding Journey on Myf's blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow Sally,

A beautiful start to a beautiful journey for you - looking good, feeling even better, glowing with good health is all just around the corner for you. So proud you have chosen to go ahead, June is getting so close.

Can't wait for band camp and my visit to Cobram to meet you personally.

All the very, very best Sally - you deserve it.

Shaz